Colts U6 – U12
Welcome to the new 2014/15 season. We are moving to a new website shortly but in the meantime this page contains the information for the start of the 2014/15 season.
Boys and Girls train together in all age groups up to Under 12. This section covers Under 6s, Under 8s, Under 10s and Under 12s and includes:
- How we communicate with players and parents
- Important information about coaching, matches & tournaments
Please help us – your assistance and co-operation is critical. For any further information contact Nick Hooper: e mail email@example.com mobile 07970 662434
Welcome to season 2014/15. Training for the U6-U12 section will commence on Sunday 14th September 2014. In addition there are Club Open Days on the 6th and 7th of September – see main website page for details.
Aims and Objectives
- Help children to discover an exciting team sport
- And develop a lifelong love of sport
- Develop core individual and tem skills
- Teach players how to train
- Prepare players for the next stage of 11-a-side competitive hockey
- Above all – have fun
- All new players must complete membership form
- U6 to U12 Subscriptions – as follows
- U12, U10, U8 – £110
- U6 – £70
- Match fees of £3/match apply for U12 but are not applicable to Thames Valley Mini tournaments
- Subscriptions due by middle of October (or when joining if later)
- Everyone welcome, just turn up on Sunday mornings (September to March)
- New members are “buddied” with an existing member
- New players may attend two “taster” coaching sessions before joining
Reading Colts Under 8, Under 10 and U12 teams play matches in our navy “Next Generation” colts sweatshirts. Our youth playing kit, along with sticks and other hockey accessories, is available online from our kit partner Game Set and Match (GSAM). All kit can be viewed and purchased online, and GSAM will also be physically at the club on a number of weekends throughout the season. More information can be found on the kit tab above
One of the biggest problems we have is young players with a stick which is too big for them. It is one of those things that you just can’t buy a size too big and wait to grow into. Please buy your stick at the club shop or other reputable sports shop which will make sure you have the right size. Don’t let mum and dad buy one without taking you to be measured up.
These are essential. You will not be allowed to train or play without them.
A properly fitted mouthguard (gum shield) is highly recommended. They require much less time and money than dental reconstruction.
- Key objective is to instil correct techniques and teamwork
- Each session consists of a warm up, coaching of individual and team skills, followed by a game to put the learning into practice
- 3 to 1 training to match ratio
- Players graded by age and ability into green (novice), blue (intermediate) and red (advanced) training groups
- Each player plays at least one tournament per month (five per season)
- Players encouraged to practice at home – a tennis ball is fine!
- Coaching is led by club members and parents
- Many coaches are EH qualified
- All parents encouraged to help – no playing experience required
- Assistance is provided to those wanting coaching qualifications
Coaching sessions – each Sunday at RHC
- 8.45 am Registration and individual warm up for U6, U8, U10 and U12
- 9.00 am Coaching starts for U6, U8, U10 and U12
- 10.00 am Coaching ends for U6 – coaches hand over players to parents
- 10.30 am Coaching ends for U8, U10 and U12 groups – coaches hand over players to parents
- Boys U12s will move to 10.30 for the 2014/15 season
- we endeavour to keep training times consistent but please check the website for any updates
Matches and Tournaments
- All players play in 7-a-side mini-hockey matches or tournaments once a month
- Emphasis is on fun, safety and trying out skills
- There no winners or recording of results (except at Berkshire & Havant tournaments)
- Rules of Mini Hockey apply – rules are sympathetically applied
- Teams are generally mixed, except the Berkshire tournament
Who we play against
- U8, U10 and U12 teams play in the Thames Valley Minis tournaments against local clubs
- Red group teams play in the Havant U8, U10 & U12 mixed tournaments
- At U12 level there are also a number of additional matches in a local league
Berkshire County Tournament
- Teams are entered into U10 & U12 boys and girls tournaments
- Winners represent Berkshire in the regional tournament.
- The event generally takes place in March.
- Squads are organised several weeks in advance.
Selection and Organisation
- The Age Group Administrator will request availability 1-4 weeks in advance and you will be emailed on the timing and location early in the week before a tournament.
- Any changes in the final week should be sent to the Head Coach and the Age Group Administrator.
- Contact the team manager direct with any problems or questions on the day of the match or tournament.
- Players should arrive ready to play at least 15 minutes before the start
Travel and Directions
- Parents are encouraged to come
- Travel is direct, not via RHC
- Advise the match manager if children are being taken or collected by someone other than a parent
- Directions will be provided by links to other clubs’ websites
What to Bring
- Mouth guard and shin pads (strongly recommended)
- Club Shirt and/or sweatshirt (especially if cold)
- Warm and waterproof clothing for between matches
- Plenty to drink