Boys and girls train together in all age groups up to U10 and then in separate boys and girls squads in the U12s age group.
This section covers Under 6, Under 8, Under 10 and Under 12s and includes
• How we communicate with players and parents
• Important information about coaching, matches & tournaments
Please help us – your assistance and co-operation is critical. For any further information contact Nick Hooper: e mail email@example.com mobile 07970 662434
Welcome to season 2018/19. Training for the U6-U12 section will commence on Sunday 2nd September 2018 over the Club's Open Weekend. See the Colts Section homepage for full details.
Aims and Objectives
• Help children to discover an exciting team sport
• And develop a lifelong love of sport
• Develop core individual and team skills
• Teach players how to train
• Prepare players for the next stage of 11-a-side competitive hockey
• Above all – have fun
• Key objective is to instil correct techniques and teamwork
• Each session consists of a warm up, coaching of individual and team skills, followed by a game to put the learning into practice
• 3 to 1 training to match ratio
• Players graded by age and ability into green (novice), blue (intermediate) and red (advanced) training groups
• Each player plays at least one tournament per month (five per season)
• Players encouraged to practice at home – a tennis ball is fine!
• Coaching is led by club members and parents
• Many coaches are EH qualified
• All parents encouraged to help – no playing experience required
• Assistance is provided to those wanting coaching qualifications
Coaching sessions – each Sunday at RHC
Sessions and times are subject to change - please check news pages for up to date informaiton
• Registration 15 minutes before the session starts
• 9.00 to 10.00 am Coaching - U6
• 9.00 to 10.15 am - U8
• 9.00 to 10.30am - U10s
Girls under 12s sessions 9.00 to 10.30
Boys under 12s sessions 10.30 to 12.00
Parents and guardians of children in the U6, U8 and U10s sessions are expected to remain on site throughout the training session in case of emergency. Parents and guardians of ages U12 and above are expected to be within 15 minutes (arrival at the pitch side) travel time in case of emergency. It is the responsibility of the parents and guardians to ensure all their membership details for themselves and their children on our members database (pitchero) are current and that they are capable of being contacted during training sessions or matches. This includes all medical and contact details.
Matches and Tournaments
• All players play in 7-a-side mini-hockey matches or tournaments once a month (see Information, Colts, TVMS) or click this link to find out more about the Thames Valley Minis
• Emphasis is on fun, safety and trying out skills
• There no winners or recording of results (except at Berkshire & Havant tournaments)
• Rules of Mini Hockey apply – rules are sympathetically applied
• Teams are generally mixed, except the Berkshire tournament
Who we play against
• U8, U10 and U12 teams play in the Thames Valley Minis tournaments against local clubs on the first Sunday in the month in Oct; Nov; Dec ; Feb 2018; Mar 2018
• We enter a number of mixed tournaments for U8, U10 & U12 and Boys and Girls tournaments at U12's
• At U12 level there are also a number of additional matches in a local league (Mercian Boys or Home Counties Girls League) see Colts Teams tab for more information
Berkshire County Tournament
• Teams are entered into U10 & U12 boys and girls tournaments
• Winners represent Berkshire in the regional tournament.
• The event generally takes place in March.
• Squads are organised several weeks in advance.
Selection and Organisation
• The Age Group Administrator will request availability 1-4 weeks in advance and you will be emailed on the timing and location early in the week before a tournament.
• Any changes in the final week should be sent to the Lead Coach and the Age Group Administrator.
• Contact the team manager direct with any problems or questions on the day of the match or tournament.
• Registration will open 30 mins before the start of a session, and players must be ready to play at least 15 minutes before the start.
Travel and Directions
• Parents are encouraged to come
• Travel is direct, not via RHC
• Advise the match manager if children are being taken or collected by someone other than a parent
• Directions will be provided by links to other clubs’ websites
What to Bring
• Mouth guard and shin pads (strongly recommended)
• Club Shirt and/or sweatshirt (especially if cold)
• Warm and waterproof clothing for between matches
• Plenty to drink